Congrats to Jason L. (Lexington, KY) and Susanna C. (Bedford, MA) on winning free passes to SPTechCon from Bamboo. - Dooley
Top News Stories
Past, Present, Future of Mobile Computing With SharePoint (LTN)
Microsoft SharePoint has become the de facto collaboration platform in law firms and legal departments. SharePoint’s support, or lack thereof, for mobile computing has had a significant impact on the ability of IT professionals to deliver a mobile experience to legal professionals. In this article I’ll survey the past and present evolution of legal mobile computing, as well as prognosticate on its future with SharePoint.
Office 15: 5 Things We Want to See (PCWorld)
Microsoft has said little so far about Office 15, the codename for the successor to the current Office 2010, but on Monday, all will likely be revealed. In the meantime, we can at least speculate on the features we’d like to see in the next version of Microsoft’s productivity suite, drawing on some of the rumors and leaked details we’ve seen so far. Here are five things we’d like to see in Microsoft Office 15:
Microsoft Office Must Evolve to Remain Successful (CIO)
Office has been a wildly successful product for Microsoft, but its continued dominance is far from assured as software moves to the cloud and employees bring their own tablets and smartphones into work. On Monday, when Microsoft is expected to unwrap the next version of Office at a press event headlined by CEO Steve Ballmer, it will become clearer whether the company is propelling the suite forward for continued success or setting it up for failure.
Microsoft Adds Azure Services to Windows Server (RedmondMag)
Coming off last month’s announcement that its Windows Azure service will let customers run virtual machine instances, Microsoft this week took a step toward enabling third party hosting providers to build cloud service offerings running on Windows Server. Microsoft released the community technology preview (CTP) of Windows Server for Hosting Providers. Based on Microsoft’s forthcoming Windows Server 2012, the suite will allow hosting providers to provision and manage through System Center, Windows Azure Web Sites, virtual machines, the Service Management Portal and API.
Was Yammer A $1.2 Billion Mistake For Microsoft? (Seeking Alpha)
There has been growing concern about Microsoft, as its recent write-down will cost investors a good amount of money. This has also made investors and analysts more skeptical of Microsoft’s acquisition of Yammer, from the not-too-distant past. With this in mind, I will address how the write-down will impact investors, but I will also address how things appear for Yammer. Specifically, I will investigate how things currently appear with competitors Salesforce.com and Jive Software, although this news may impact other companies as well. I think that some have been exaggerating how poor the situation is for Microsoft, but I do believe there is some cause for concern as well.
Cloud Spending: A Reality Check (InfoWorld)
Break down those numbers, and a couple of interesting facts emerge. First off, when you remove the technology service providers, colos, and telcos from the sample, leaving only traditional enterprise verticals (financial, manufacturing, government, and so on), cloud computing drops off significantly. “This provides a reality check of sorts: A apart from technology companies who are arguably eating their own dog food, the survey indicates that the broader market is less sanguine about cloud,” according to the Uptime Survey.
Microsoft and NBC Complete Web Divorce (The New York Times)
On Sunday night, MSNBC.com did something that successful Web sites almost never do: it renamed itself. The site became NBCNews.com, signifying the end of a relationship between NBC and Microsoft that dates back to the earliest days of the commercial Web. Early next year, MSNBC.com will be reborn as a stand-alone site for the cable channel MSNBC, ending the brand confusion that has plagued the site in the past.
Around the Blogosphere
Is SP1 Installed on Your SharePoint 2010 Farm? (Stefan Goßner)
If the answer to the question above is “No”, be aware that you will not be able to install any future CU. August 2012 CU for SharePoint 2010 and later will only install on a server/farm which has SP1 installed. June 2012 CU for SharePoint 2010 will be the last CU which installs on SharePoint 2010 if SP1 has not been installed.
SharePoint 2013 Licensing: What is the One Thing That Would Really Help Customers? (SharePoint Solutions Team Blog)
This post falls into the “my two cents worth” category. As most know, starting with the 2007 version of SharePoint, the product is available in three editions. In the 2010 version of SharePoint, those three are SharePoint Foundation, Server Standard, and Server Enterprise. Microsoft publishes a good comparison of what you get in each edition here for SharePoint 2010.
Screencast: Getting Started With SharePoint 2010 Online Development for Newbies (SharePoint Development Blog by Jeremy Thake)
I recently presented at the New York SharePoint Developer group on getting started with SharePoint 2010 Online development. This was a perfect audience as 75% of the room were non SharePoint developers with various walks of life.
Reconciling the Way Microsoft Project Actually Works with the Theories of Project Management (The Bottom-Line PM)
As I delve into Microsoft Project, part of what I’m grappling with is marrying the theories of project management with the way the actual piece of software works, in a practical manner of speaking. Apparently, there are a number of challenges to Microsoft’s scheduling algorithm from adherents of various project management principles (including PMBOK, Prince 2, Agile, and so forth).
User’s Guide to Time Tracking and Management for SharePoint 2010, Part 1: Creating a TTM Site & Configuring Time Tracking (The Bamboo Team Blog)
There are many reasons why an organization may want to track time, such as learning how employees spend their time, what specific projects or tasks they’re spending time on, and determining if the company can capitalize on that information and/or otherwise benefit from using the data points for use in estimating future initiatives. Having a tool that can capture this data can be extremely beneficial. Bamboo introduced just such a tool late last year and, based on customer feedback to date, we recently added several additional features to the product. Time Tracking and Management R1.5 for SharePoint 2010 was recently released, and for more information about the specific enhancements, we encourage you to refer to this blog post.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Administrator – Rockville, Maryland
We are seeking a Senior SharePoint Administrator for a Federal government contract client in Washington, DC. This is a great opportunity if you have a solid understanding of the routine aspects of SharePoint administration and Windows 2003/2008 server environments, including implementation and support of web front end servers, database servers, and application and search servers. These positions will allow you to use the Windows SQL Server (2005/2008), IIS, .Net Environments, and File and Print server.
SharePoint Developer – Houston, TX
Global oilfield services company is looking for an experienced .NET/SharePoint technical analyst to provide system design, development and support across a suite of existing and new SharePoint and .NET applications. The company has several significant project initiatives that have started and they need an additional resource to provide support for their existing applications and participate on the new development projects. This position will enhance and support the current .NET applications that support the company’s core business operations. The position will also have responsibility for supporting and enhancing applications designed and developed within the MOSS/SharePoint platform.
Vehicle Manufacturer Propels Customer Engagement with Digital Marketing Solutions (Microsoft)
Polaris Industries, a maker of recreational vehicles, wanted to better engage with customers to generate higher sales and revenues. The company implemented a solution that takes advantage of the Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 digital marketing platform along with technologies from Webtrends and GNet Group. Now, Polaris marketers use web-based dashboards to gauge the effectiveness of their marketing strategies. The solution integrates data from numerous channels to provide insights about the performance of each Polaris brand’s effectiveness in reaching consumers—much faster than before. For instance, Polaris produces real-time reports to measure engagement on its website and in other channels to improve engagement and optimize its marketing investments. Since implementing the solution, Polaris has achieved a double-digit reduction in “bounce rate” and cost-per-visit for its online ads.
- July 17, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 17, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- July 17, Online – Hypermiling With SharePoint Backup
- July 18, Online – SharePoint as a Platform in a Highly Regulated Environment
- July 18, Online – Instant ROI with SharePoint Search Webinar
- July 18, Online – SharePoint as a Platform in a Highly Regulated Environment
- July 19, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 19, Online – Webinar: NewsGator Gives Benco Dental Social Bite
- July 19, Online – Integrating Office 365 With the Rest of Your Enterprise – Best Practices & Common Pitfalls
- July 24, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 25, Online – Making the Connection Between SharePoint and your Information Security Program
- July 26, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- July 26, Online – Business Intelligence & Reporting
- July 26, Online – Webinar: Business Intelligence for SharePoint
- July 28, New York, New York – SharePoint Saturday
- July 28, Louisville, Kentucky – SharePoint Saturday
- August 7, Online – Building Choices: Using Managed Metadata to Create Managed Choice Columns
- August 22-24, Washington, DC – SharePoint Saturday: The Conference
- August 28, Online – SharePoint Training Best Practices
- September 8, Branson, Missouri – SharePoint Saturday
- September 22, Manchester, New Hampshire – SharePoint Saturday
- September 25-27, Chicago, Illinois – SharePoint Fest
- September 29, Troy, Michigan – SharePoint Saturday
- July 13, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Advanced Developer – Mindsharp
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Designer – Mindsharp
- July 17-18, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 17-20, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 18, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July 19, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Session 2 – Bamboo Solutions
- July 19, Online – SharePoint Re-Design And User Adoption Seminar – Mindsharp
- July 23-27, Online – SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies – Mindsharp
- July 24, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July 24-26, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- July 30-August 2, Atlanta, Georgia – The Great SharePoint Adventure 2010 – Critical Path Training
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Power End User – Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer – Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Atlanta, Georgia – The Great SharePoint Adventure 2010 – Critical Path Training
- August 1-3, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint- Earley & Associates
- August 6-10, Dulles, Virginia – Power User 2010 Train the Trainer – SusQtech
- August 7, Online – Workflow Conductor Designer Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 7-10, Washington, DC – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- August 13-16, Dulles, Virginia – SharePoint 2010 Styling & Branding – SusQtech
- August 14-17, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- August 21-23, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- August 22, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 24, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28-30, Toronto, ON – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint – Earley & Associates
- August 28-31, Chicago, Illinois – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.