Because I say so. That’s why. - Dooley
Top News Stories
SharePoint Integration Considerations for Every Exchange Organization (SearchExchange)
Many companies that rely on Exchange Server and Microsoft Outlook also use SharePoint for things like data warehousing, workflow reporting and social networking. However, not every company integrates these products in a way that takes full advantage of SharePoint’s capabilities. We recently spoke with Errin O’Connor, founder and CEO of the EPC Group, a SharePoint consulting firm based in Houston, about some little-known ways to take advantage of Exchange, Outlook and SharePoint. We also discussed some common issues, some of the least efficient ways to use these tools and when to consider a move to the hosted version of these offerings as part of the Office 365 suite.
Never Mind Microblogging, SharePoint Needs to Support Plain Old Blogging (CMSWire)
In case you missed it, Microsoft bought Yammer. We await the results of this acquisition within SharePoint (we might be waiting some time), but it is certainly a clear admission that SharePoint doesn’t currently do “social” very well. Yammer is primarily a microblogging platform, albeit with a lot of other features thrown in, so it is fair to say Microsoft will use it to beef up this side of SharePoint — user profiles, activity feeds, microblogging, status updates and so on. But what about good old fashioned standard blogging?
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer’s Vow to Take on Apple: More Bluster than Truth (ComputerWorld)
Steve Ballmer’s blustery promise to take on Apple head-to-head makes for a great sound bite, but as with many of the Microsoft CEO’s public statements, there’s more bluster than truth to it. In an interview with CRN at Microsoft’s annual Worldwide Partner Conference in Toronto, Ballmer vowed: “We are trying to make absolutely clear we are not going to leave any space uncovered to Apple. We are not. No space uncovered that is Apple’s.”
Next OS War: Microsoft White-Labels Its Cloud (Wired)
While some are still scratching their heads about Windows 8 and its tablet-centric Metro UI push, with news Tuesday that Microsoft will Azure-ize its Windows Server software and make it white-label, one could argue that the operating system giant’s eye is on a different prize: a cloud OS with the reach of Windows on the desktop. In a one-two punch — one to VMware and the other to Amazon — Microsoft announced at its Worldwide Partner Conference tools aimed at hosts using Windows Server that will let them brand their infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds as their own.
Microsoft’s Roskill: How Our Clouds Beat Amazon, Google Apps (Talkin’ Cloud)
How is Office 365 performing with channel partners moving into cloud services? And how should Microsoft channel partners most effectively compete with Google Apps and Amazon Web Services (AWS) in the cloud market? Microsoft Channel Chief Jon Roskill offers some clues and updates from Worldwide Partner Conference 2012 (WPC12). First, a confession: I missed a face-to-face sit-down with Roskill (sorry about that, Jon) because of my own logistics nightmare. But Roskill was kind enough to answer my questions over email. Here’s the discussion…
5 Mistakes to Avoid When Deploying an Enterprise App Store (CIO)
As personal mobile devices flood the corporate workplace, you’d think every company would have its own app store, right? Not so fast. Despite the obvious benefits of efficiently and securely distributing mobile apps to employees to use their personal iPads, iPhones and Android smartphones, enterprise app stores are not widely in use. In fact, only an estimated 10 percent of enterprises have their own stores — though it’s worth noting that Gartner predicts that by 2014 private app stores will be deployed by 60 percent of IT organizations.
Should Firms Wait for Windows 8 Before Getting a New PC? (ZDNet)
You may already have heard of it by now: Microsoft has finally confirmed the hotly-anticipated Windows 8 operating system (OS) will be released in October this year. To be clear, Microsoft’s flagship OS is scheduled for release to manufacturing (RTM) next month, with general availability expected in the latter part of October. With a whole slew of laptops and desktops running on Windows 8 arriving in barely three months, should businesses hold back on buying of new desktop and laptop PCs? The answer really depends on your needs.
Around the Blogosphere
What Traffic is Behind the Scenes of an iOS SharePoint Application? (ITPro)
Since my Harmon.ie review has been posted there has been a question raised on Nothing But SharePoint about whether anything needs to be installed within the SharePoint farm to support Harmon.ie and also what kind of HTTP traffic the application may generate.
Why LINQ to SharePoint is a Bad Idea! (Furuknap’s SharePoint Corner)
One of the major third-tier developer components introduced in SharePoint 2010 is LINQ to SharePoint. In a recent debate on Twitter, I tried to convey some of the problematic aspects of using LINQ to SharePoint (or even LINQ in general) but because Twitter tends to be rather ADHD about its attention span, I thought I’d sum up my thoughts for posterity. Now, if you have no idea what LINQ is, I’ll give you a brief intro. However, regardless in what tier you do your SharePoint development, I’ve tried to make this as non-technical as possible, so you should be able to follow along. I’ve even included the mandatory car example.
Building a Multi-Server SharePoint Farm in Windows Azure (PointBeyond)
Since the announcement of new services in Windows Azure last month, we have been eager to try out the installation and configuration of a SharePoint farm in the Windows Azure environment with dedicated domain controller, SharePoint, and database virtual machines linked to a virtual network. This post describes the configuration of the Windows Azure environment and the steps taken to get a SharePoint 2010 server farm up and running.
Importing Web Parts in SharePoint Online (EndUserSharePoint)
In SharePoint Online, part of Office 365 offering, the way you import web parts is done differently than the traditional methods with on-premise SharePoint installations. The way SharePoint web parts are imported with on-premise versions is you simply navigate to the web page and in edit mode, click Insert Web Part and you get presented with a nice layout of web part options together with Upload a Web Part link – quick and easy.
How to Create Scheduled Imports with List Bulk Import 2.5 (The Bamboo Team Blog)
List Bulk Import allows users to migrate documents, pictures, and list data into SharePoint from: legacy databases; spreadsheets; SharePoint to SharePoint Server; Office 365; Claims-based and Forms-based Authentication environments; and/or any SharePoint document management application with large volumes of data and/or documents that need to be widely accessed. In addition, List Bulk Import allows users to schedule imports with the template file which is created while importing, taking advantage of one of the best features in BI. In this post, we’ll take a look at how to create scheduled imports from List Bulk Import.
This Week in Bamboo (June 24th, 2012 – June 30th, 2012) (The Bamboo Team Blog)
This week in Bamboo, we released two new major releases to our store: Project Management Central R3.0 and Time Tracking and Management R1.5 for SharePoint 2010. Please see the release announcement blogs from our Product Manager for details: Project Management Central R3.5 for SharePoint 2010 is Now Available!, and Time Tracking and Management R1.5 for SharePoint 2010 is Now Available!. For a complete list of bug fixes, great new features, limitations and known issues about the new releases, please see below.
SharePoint Job Listings*
Intranet Web Developer .Net \ SharePoint – Woonsocket, RI
Intranet Web Developer will develop and maintain software applications critical to the operations of CVS Caremark independently or with minimal direction. Responsible for developing and implementing technical solutions as assigned, ensuring and adhering to all established methodologies, standards and guidelines, including but not limited to: analysis & design documents, program specifications, test plans and results, design, code, testing, debugging, and documentation of those programs while delivering assignments within specified time frames.
Deployment Manager/SharePoint Administrator – Alexandria, Virginia
The successful candidate will apply software engineering techniques to support the deployment of software developed by IMAG for the Office of the Secretary of Defense/CAPE. S/he will be involved in following and refining the deployment process to ensure accurate and timely incorporation of changes to software, databases, and supporting files from the development environment to alpha testing, beta testing, and, finally into production. The candidate must be able to communicate with developers to answer questions about deployment requests. The candidate will participate in administering the CAPE Collaboration Environment in SharePoint. The candidate will deploy systems and upgrades on servers. The successful candidate must be detail-oriented, organized, process-oriented and have a strong work ethic. Individual must be a team-player who works well with other developers and analysts, using a flexible, structured software engineering process. Responsibilities include providing end user support to resolve site access issues. Relevant abilities will be tested during the interview process.
Vehicle Manufacturer Propels Customer Engagement with Digital Marketing Solutions (Microsoft)
Polaris Industries, a maker of recreational vehicles, wanted to better engage with customers to generate higher sales and revenues. The company implemented a solution that takes advantage of the Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 digital marketing platform along with technologies from Webtrends and GNet Group. Now, Polaris marketers use web-based dashboards to gauge the effectiveness of their marketing strategies. The solution integrates data from numerous channels to provide insights about the performance of each Polaris brand’s effectiveness in reaching consumers—much faster than before. For instance, Polaris produces real-time reports to measure engagement on its website and in other channels to improve engagement and optimize its marketing investments. Since implementing the solution, Polaris has achieved a double-digit reduction in “bounce rate” and cost-per-visit for its online ads.
- July 11, Online – SharePoint as a Platform in a Highly Regulated Environment
- July 11, Online – The Missing Link In SharePoint Projects (Or How to Get Business Users to Embark on the SharePoint Journey)
- July 12, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- July 12, Online – My Sites for Everyone
- July 17, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 17, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- July 17, Online – Hypermiling With SharePoint Backup
- July 18, Online – SharePoint as a Platform in a Highly Regulated Environment
- July 18, Online – Instant ROI with SharePoint Search Webinar
- July 19, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 19, Online – Webinar: NewsGator Gives Benco Dental Social Bite
- July 19, Online – Integrating Office 365 With the Rest of Your Enterprise – Best Practices & Common Pitfalls
- July 24, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 25, Online – Making the Connection Between SharePoint and your Information Security Program
- July 26, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- July 26, Online – Business Intelligence & Reporting
- July 26, Online – Webinar: Business Intelligence for SharePoint
- July 28, New York, New York – SharePoint Saturday
- July 28, Louisville, Kentucky – SharePoint Saturday
- August 7, Online – Building Choices: Using Managed Metadata to Create Managed Choice Columns
- August 22-24, Washington, DC – SharePoint Saturday: The Conference
- August 28, Online – SharePoint Training Best Practices
- September 8, Branson, Missouri – SharePoint Saturday
- September 22, Manchester, New Hampshire – SharePoint Saturday
- September 25-27, Chicago, Illinois – SharePoint Fest
- September 29, Troy, Michigan – SharePoint Saturday
- July 13, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Advanced Developer – Mindsharp
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Designer – Mindsharp
- July 17-18, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 17-20, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 18, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Session 2 – Bamboo Solutions
- July 19, Online – SharePoint Re-Design And User Adoption Seminar – Mindsharp
- July 23-27, Online – SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies – Mindsharp
- July 24, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July 24-26, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- July 30-August 2, Atlanta, Georgia – The Great SharePoint Adventure 2010 – Critical Path Training
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Power End User – Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer – Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Atlanta, Georgia – The Great SharePoint Adventure 2010 – Critical Path Training
- August 1-3, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint- Earley & Associates
- August 6-10, Dulles, Virginia – Power User 2010 Train the Trainer – SusQtech
- August 7, Online – Workflow Conductor Designer Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 7-10, Washington, DC – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- August 13-16, Dulles, Virginia – SharePoint 2010 Styling & Branding – SusQtech
- August 14-17, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- August 21-23, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- August 22, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 24, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28-30, Toronto, ON – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint – Earley & Associates
- August 28-31, Chicago, Illinois – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.