Bamboo is giving away two passes to SPTechCon Boston. Enter by midnight tonight for your chance to win. - Dooley
Top News Stories
SharePoint has Yammer, Now it Needs To Up Its Mobile Game (CMSWire)
Microsoft has made no secret of its newfound love for a touch interface (I’m assuming we are ignoring Windows for Pen Computing and Windows XP Tablet as pretty much everyone else did). It is the standout feature for the majority of its latest product offerings. Keeping in Touch: Last week’s announcement of the new Surface tablet range is bang on theme. Whilst observers quibble about price points and the merits of a built in kickstand, there is no doubting that Microsoft thinks many of us will spend our future computing time prodding at a screen of some sort. (Granted no one, not least of all Apple, views this as particularly groundbreaking news.)
After One Year, Office 365 Success Unclear (ComputerWorld)
A mixture of intense excitement and skepticism followed the launch a year ago of Office 365, as backers and critics debated whether the cloud collaboration, productivity and communication suite would succeed. Skeptics said Office 365 was arriving too late as a unifying and superior replacement to weaker and disjointed offerings like Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS), Office Live Small Business (OLSB) and Live@edu.
Microsoft May Release Office 2013 Public Preview Today (CIO)
Microsoft may announce the first public preview of Office 2013, the likely name for its next productivity suite, at its annual gathering with partners later today. Although Microsoft has not publicly revealed its plans for Office 2013 — which has been codenamed “Office 15″ — other than to say that a public beta would be rolled out “later this summer,” there are clues that the company will unveil a sneak peek today.
Windows 8: Who Cares? Not that Many People, Apparently (ARN)
Users remain significantly less enthused about Windows 8 than they were three years ago about the then-unfinished Windows 7, according to data from an analytics firm. The new numbers from California-based Net Applications hint at a lukewarm reception for Windows 8. Just 0.18% of all the computers that went online during June ran one of the previews of Windows 8, statistics Net Applications showed last week. Of those PCs running Windows, 0.2% — or 20 out of 10,000 — were powered by Windows 8.
Why Business Leaders Should Care About Microsoft Again (ValueWalk)
As members of the Microsoft partner community, we have often been frustrated with the company’s inability to articulate their own visions. Recently Microsoft has been demonstrating a very clear vision for the enterprise, albeit with a strong consumer flavor. The announcement of the new Surface device coupled with the previews of Windows 8 show their strongest hand yet in the world of enterprise computing.
Enterprise Collaboration App Earns Google’s Spotlight (PCWorld)
How do you get your Google+ app featured at Google’s blockbuster I/O conference? According to Bjorn Haugland, the CEO of Symphonical, you just invite product manager Amit Fulay to join you in a Hangouts video chat and show him your stuff. Symphonical makes it possible for multiple users to co-create content in Hangouts and continue to access it afterward, by using a Google ID to log in to a project stored on Symphonical’s website. The app, which was still in beta with only about 3,000 users, was spotlighted in Fulay’s presentation on Wednesday and will participate in the so-called sandbox of featured products that run on Google’s platform that begins Thursday morning.
Around the Blogosphere
June 2012 CU for SharePoint 2010 has Been Released (Stefan Goßner)
The product group released the June 2012 Cumulative Update for the SharePoint 2010 product family. Be aware that the June Cumulative Update for SharePoint 2010 is a Post-SP1 hotfix. That means that you should ensure that SP1 is installed before the June CU.
Comprehensive SharePoint 2010 Best Practices TechNet Wiki Article (To the SharePoint)
Take a look at SharePoint 2010 Best Practices (en-US), a recently published and very active TechNet Wiki article that contains a categorized list of links to best practice resources on all manner of subjects relating to SharePoint 2010. This TechNet Wiki article was created by Margriet Bruggeman and has had over 200 revisions since it was published on March 27. Other SharePoint community experts such as Gokan Ozcifci have added links or helped to categorize them.
Virtualizing Microsoft SharePoint 2010 on HP Converged Infrastructure - White Paper (SharePoint User Group UK)
Virtualizing Microsoft SharePoint 2010 with Hyper-V R2 can be a cost effective way to reduce costs in day to day operations. This paper outlines best practices for a virtual deployment of SharePoint with Windows Server 2008 R2 on HP VirtualSystem.
Keep Up to Date on Microsoft SharePoint Cumulative Updates (C5 Insight)
Updates are everyone’s favorite topic, and I just wanted to throw out a few good resources on how to keep up to date on the updates that Microsoft released for SharePoint 2010 and WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007. The Updates RSS Feed: First and foremost, to keep up to date on SharePoint updates, you need to subscribe to the updates RSS feed! These posts provide links to the KB articles and downloads for the various configurations (Microsoft Office, SharePoint Foundation, Server, Server with Project Server, Office Web Apps, FAST Search, etc.). Notice that this feed includes all Office products, not JUST SharePoint. Unfortunately Microsoft doesn’t publish an update feed just for SharePoint that I know of. Also, Stefan Gobner, a Senior Escalation Engineer with Microsoft support, does a bang up job also posting SharePoint CU releases on his blog, as well as when issues come up.
How to Import an Excel File to a SharePoint List with List Bulk Import 2.5 (The Bamboo Team Blog)
With its friendly user interface, List Bulk Import allows users to easily migrate documents, pictures, and list data into SharePoint from: legacy databases; spreadsheets; SharePoint to SharePoint Server; Office 365; Claims-based and Forms-based Authentication environments; and/or any SharePoint document management application with large volumes of data and/or documents that need to be widely accessed. In this post, I will demonstrate all of the configuration possibilities provided by List Bulk Import. Part of what makes List Bulk Import so powerful is the ability to import from various sources, including:
Time Tracking and Management R1.5 for SharePoint 2010 is Now Available! (The Bamboo Team Blog)
Bamboo released Time Tracking & Management (TTM) for SharePoint 2010 as a new addition to our product line last year. Since that initial release, it has proved its usefulness and has gone on to become a popular solution for many customers who either need to track time and attendance, or track projected time spent against projects. We’ve learned from your feedback that organizations would also like to track the financial components that are associated with project management and time management, such as billing or cost against projects. As such, I’m pleased to announce the release of Time Tracking & Management (TTM) R1.5 for SharePoint 2010.
Pssst! We’re Giving Away a Pair of Passes to SPTechCon Boston! (The Bamboo Team Blog)
If you’re lucky enough to have attended SPTechCon in the past —either a West Coast edition in San Francisco, or an East Coast edition in Boston—you know all too well what an invaluable experience the conference can be. This year’s show in downtown Boston will take place July 22-25, and will offer more than 90 classes and workshops delivered by many of the world’s foremost SharePoint experts —including 23 Microsoft SharePoint MVPs— and will feature a keynote by Steve Fox, Director of Microsoft Services.
SharePoint Job Listings*
Consultant – SharePoint Server – Annapolis Junction, MD
We are actively seeking a Consultant with a passion for development. It would be preferable if a candidate has experience developing in SharePoint; however candidates with a strong development background interested in ramping up in Microsoft Office SharePoint Server will also be considered. The successful candidate will work with our customers to empower organizations to innovate and gain competitive advantage through leveraging the .Net framework. In conjunction with SharePoint development, the successful candidate will be able to demonstrate proficiency with, or quickly learn .NET architecture, design, coding, and debugging or have a willingness to learn. The role requires both broad and deep technology knowledge and the ability to develop a solution by mapping a customer’s business problem to an end-to-end technology solution.
Application Engineer Sr. Professional – WebEOC, SharePoint, InfoPath – Herndon, Virginia
Vehicle Manufacturer Propels Customer Engagement with Digital Marketing Solutions (Microsoft)
Polaris Industries, a maker of recreational vehicles, wanted to better engage with customers to generate higher sales and revenues. The company implemented a solution that takes advantage of the Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 digital marketing platform along with technologies from Webtrends and GNet Group. Now, Polaris marketers use web-based dashboards to gauge the effectiveness of their marketing strategies. The solution integrates data from numerous channels to provide insights about the performance of each Polaris brand’s effectiveness in reaching consumers—much faster than before. For instance, Polaris produces real-time reports to measure engagement on its website and in other channels to improve engagement and optimize its marketing investments. Since implementing the solution, Polaris has achieved a double-digit reduction in “bounce rate” and cost-per-visit for its online ads.
- July 10, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 10, Online – Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- July 11, Online – SharePoint as a Platform in a Highly Regulated Environment
- July 12, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- July 12, Online – My Sites for Everyone
- July 17, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 17, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- July 18, Online – SharePoint as a Platform in a Highly Regulated Environment
- July 19, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 19, Online – Webinar: NewsGator Gives Benco Dental Social Bite
- July 19, Online – Integrating Office 365 With the Rest of Your Enterprise – Best Practices & Common Pitfalls
- July 24, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 26, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- July 26, Online – Business Intelligence & Reporting
- July 28, New York, New York – SharePoint Saturday
- July 28, Louisville, Kentucky – SharePoint Saturday
- August 7, Online – Building Choices: Using Managed Metadata to Create Managed Choice Columns
- August 22-24, Washington, DC – SharePoint Saturday: The Conference
- August 28, Online – SharePoint Training Best Practices
- September 8, Branson, Missouri – SharePoint Saturday
- September 22, Manchester, New Hampshire – SharePoint Saturday
- September 25-27, Chicago, Illinois – SharePoint Fest
- September 29, Troy, Michigan – SharePoint Saturday
- July 9-13, Online – SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer – Mindsharp
- July 9-13, Dulles, Virginia – SharePoint 2010 Business Intelligence Training – SusQtech
- July 10-13, Nashville, Tennessee – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- July 10-13, Online – SharePoint 2010 Power End User – Mindsharp
- July 13, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Advanced Developer – Mindsharp
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Designer – Mindsharp
- July 17-18, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 17-20, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 18, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Session 2 – Bamboo Solutions
- July 19, Online – SharePoint Re-Design And User Adoption Seminar – Mindsharp
- July 23-27, Online – SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies – Mindsharp
- July 24, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July 24-26, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Power End User – Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer – Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Atlanta, Georgia – The Great SharePoint Adventure 2010 – Critical Path Training
- August 1-3, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint- Earley & Associates
- August 6-10, Dulles, Virginia – Power User 2010 Train the Trainer – SusQtech
- August 7, Online – Workflow Conductor Designer Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 7-10, Washington, DC – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- August 13-16, Dulles, Virginia – SharePoint Styling & Branding Week – SusQtech
- August 14-17, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- August 21-23, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- August 22, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 24, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28-30, Toronto, ON – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint – Earley & Associates
- August 28-31, Chicago, Illinois – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.