There’s nothing quite like getting to the office only to find that your Internet access is down. - Dooley
Top News Stories
Five Policy Considerations for Successful Records Management in SharePoint 2010 (Information Management)
The funny thing about the essential policy decisions to successfully implement a records management program is that none is directly dependent on the technologies supplied in SharePoint 2010 (such as the records repository or managed metadata). The essential policy decisions that underlie a solid records and information management (RIM) program are technology independent. Before launching into the decisions themselves, here are five level-setting concepts for those of you who may not be familiar with records management.
Microsoft Admits SharePoint Weaknesses in Yammer Acquisition (eWeek)
By acquiring Yammer June 25, Microsoft revealed two important things: first, it has finally awakened to adding a tried-and-true social network as a major focus of its catalog; and second, SharePoint isn’t the socially aware work collaboration offering it had once purported it to be. For the last five years, Microsoft has been selling its SharePoint document-sharing application as a total tool for group work, and it has been a large success in many ways. In fact, it has been Microsoft’s finest enterprise software development in recent years.
Google Apps vs. Office 365: Which Wins Over Users? (BetaNews)
Unlike most tech industry analysts that pit Google versus Microsoft in a paper-specs war each time they opine about these cloud email platforms, I’ve got two cents to offer on the subject from a slightly different — and perhaps more down-to-earth — perspective. I’m an IT consultant by day who is responsible for implementing, supporting, and training on each company’s product. It allows me to have better perspective about how end-users feel about these major cloud suites when “non techies” are at the wheel. And the things they tell me are often no-holds-barred as they rarely hold back. The bigger question most analysts fail to answer still stands: who’s winning the “hearts and minds” of those using these suites?
Microsoft Launches Free Office 365 Service for Education (RedmondMag)
Microsoft marked the one-year anniversary of Office 365 today by announcing the debut of a free edition for education, as well as a schedule for Live@edu migrations starting this summer. “This is a huge opportunity because we’re providing a level of service to schools for free that only our corporate accounts have been able to enjoy so far,” said Cameron Evans, chief technology officer for Microsoft Education. He spoke with us at the ISTE 2012 conference in San Diego this week.
Will Microsoft Surface Or Sink With Windows 8? (Seeking Alpha)
Recently Microsoft unwrapped some new hardware that has been under development for a few years, and gave an extensive preview of Windows 8 on tablets and smartphones. These introductions were greeted with much hype, but some analysts quickly raised questions about the future of these products. Microsoft didn’t help matters at all by severely limiting access to the Surface pre-production devices to journalists. Part of the allure of technology devices is how they feel, and when we are told we can look, but not touch, then we quickly convince ourselves that those devices must not be that great. I would expect the hype to change to growing disdain soon, since we are several months away from the launch date for these devices. Investors might consider this time period an opportunity to increase positions in Microsoft, or start new positions.
Windows Desktop Destined for Long Slide to Oblivion, says Gartner (ComputerWorld)
Microsoft will deemphasize the Windows desktop in future releases of its operating system as usage of traditional Windows applications falls to just 10% of users’ time by 2020, analysts said this week. A quartet of Gartner analysts, led by Michael Silver, released a report Tuesday that spelled out the market research firm’s prediction for what it described as a Microsoft-initiated “technology shift,” the first in nearly two decades.
Around the Blogosphere
SharePoint 2013 Upgrade or Not: 5 Strategies to Help You Decide (Furuknap’s SharePoint Corner)
Over the previous few months, there have been a number of online articles telling you how to prepare for the next version of SharePoint (SharePoint 15 or SharePoint 2013, depending on who you believe). Some of that advice is sound, but a lot of it is also rubbish, often coming from authors who have a vested interest in how you choose to upgrade and even prepare to upgrade. Regardless of what others choose to say, however, I do have a few recommendations for how one should prepare for the next version.
SharePoint: Debugging and Troubleshooting the Search UI (EndUserSharePoint)
Recently, I gave several Search presentations, and some of them were focused on Crawled and Managed Properties. In this post, I’m focusing on the User Experience part of this story, especially on the Debugging and Troubleshooting. As you know, our content might have one (or more) unstructured part(s) and some structured metadata, properties. When we crawl the content, we extract these properties – these are the crawled properties. And based on the crawled properties, we can create managed properties.
The Docked Ribbon (Our SharePoint Experience)
There are two states the SharePoint ribbon can be in, docked or undocked. Let’s dive right in looking at what it means to have a docked ribbon. The docked ribbon: A nice, fresh, out-of-the-box SharePoint 2010 site has a docked ribbon. If you pay close attention to the far right side of the browser window, the scroll bar for your web page (assuming you have a page long enough to scroll) starts after the navy bar that is the top of the ribbon area:
How to Import Data to SharePoint Online (Office 365) with List Bulk Import 2.5 (The Bamboo Team Blog)
With its friendly user interface, List Bulk Import allows users to easily migrate documents, pictures, and list data into SharePoint from: legacy databases; spreadsheets; SharePoint to SharePoint Server; Office 365; Claims-based and Forms-based Authentication environments; and/or any SharePoint document management application with large volumes of data and/or documents that need to be widely accessed.
This Week in Bamboo (June 17th, 2012 – June 23rd, 2012) (The Bamboo Team Blog)
At Bamboo this week, List Rollup Web Part R6.0 for SharePoint 2010 was released to the storefront with new improvements, new features and some resolved bugs. For details about the new release of List Rollup please see our Product Manager Announcement blogs: Continued Evolution: List Rollup Web Part Release 6.0 is Now Available. At the same time, we released the patches for Tree View, List Search Simple, Alert Plus, Data-Viewer and Filters Collection. Please check out our storefront for the latest releases and review the list below for more details about the patches of this week.
SharePoint Job Listings*
Systems Analyst SharePoint Administrator – Pittsburgh, PA
The Business Systems – Systems Analyst/SharePoint Administrator is responsible for the analysis, support and delivery of SharePoint and other solutions within the Business Systems portfolio. This position provides SharePoint Administrative functions, system analyst functions, and provides customer support within the Business Systems Application Portfolio. This role will work closely with cross-functional teams across all departments to provide support and translate customer requirements into detailed business solutions, specifications and project delivery.
SharePoint Practice Director – Stamford, CT
My client is seeking a seasoned veteran of the IT industry with a great deal of experience in SharePoint and Microsoft Project Server. This is a hybrid role of technical and consulting responsibilities, and will be responsible for growing out their already expanding practice. This is an advanced leadership role that is an unbelievable opportunity for career advancement and to get a stake in a SharePoint Practice, so do not miss the opportunity to apply now!
Vehicle Manufacturer Propels Customer Engagement with Digital Marketing Solutions (Microsoft)
Polaris Industries, a maker of recreational vehicles, wanted to better engage with customers to generate higher sales and revenues. The company implemented a solution that takes advantage of the Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 digital marketing platform along with technologies from Webtrends and GNet Group. Now, Polaris marketers use web-based dashboards to gauge the effectiveness of their marketing strategies. The solution integrates data from numerous channels to provide insights about the performance of each Polaris brand’s effectiveness in reaching consumers—much faster than before. For instance, Polaris produces real-time reports to measure engagement on its website and in other channels to improve engagement and optimize its marketing investments. Since implementing the solution, Polaris has achieved a double-digit reduction in “bounce rate” and cost-per-visit for its online ads.
- June 28, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- June 30, Dayton, Ohio – SharePoint Saturday
- June 30, Adelaide, Australia - SharePoint Saturday
- June 30, San Diego, California – SharePoint Saturday
- July 7, Toronto, ON – SharePoint Saturday
- July 10, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 10, Online – Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- July 11, Online – SharePoint as a Platform in a Highly Regulated Environment
- July 12, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- July 12, Online – My Sites for Everyone
- July 17, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 17, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- July 18, Online – SharePoint as a Platform in a Highly Regulated Environment
- July 19, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 19, Online – Webinar: NewsGator Gives Benco Dental Social Bite
- July 19, Online – Integrating Office 365 With the Rest of Your Enterprise – Best Practices & Common Pitfalls
- July 24, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- July 26, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- July 26, Online – Business Intelligence & Reporting
- July 28, New York, New York – SharePoint Saturday
- July 28, Louisville, Kentucky – SharePoint Saturday
- August 7, Online – Building Choices: Using Managed Metadata to Create Managed Choice Columns
- August 22-24, Washington, DC – SharePoint Saturday: The Conference
- August 28, Online – SharePoint Training Best Practices
- September 8, Branson, Missouri – SharePoint Saturday
- September 22, Manchester, New Hampshire – SharePoint Saturday
- September 25-27, Chicago, Illinois – SharePoint Fest
- September 29, Troy, Michigan – SharePoint Saturday
- July 3, Online – Workflow Conductor Designer Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July 6, Toronto, Ontario – How to Manage SharePoint Projects Workshop in Toronto - Innovative-e
- July 9-13, Online – SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer – Mindsharp
- July 9-13, Dulles, Virginia – SharePoint 2010 Business Intelligence Training – SusQtech
- July 10-13, Nashville, Tennessee – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- July 10-13, Online – SharePoint 2010 Power End User – Mindsharp
- July 13, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Advanced Developer – Mindsharp
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Designer – Mindsharp
- July 17-18, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 17-20, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 18, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Session 2 – Bamboo Solutions
- July 19, Online – SharePoint Re-Design And User Adoption Seminar – Mindsharp
- July 23-27, Online – SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies – Mindsharp
- July 24, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July 24-26, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Power End User – Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer – Mindsharp
- August 1-3, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint- Earley & Associates
- August 6-10, Dulles, Virginia – Power User 2010 Train the Trainer – SusQtech
- August 7, Online – Workflow Conductor Designer Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 7-10, Washington, DC – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- August 13-16, Dulles, Virginia – SharePoint Styling & Branding Week – SusQtech
- August 14-17, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- August 21-23, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- August 22, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 24, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28-30, Toronto, ON – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint – Earley & Associates
- August 28-31, Chicago, Illinois – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.