Top News Stories
The Future of Collaboration and Communication is Not The Intranet (CMSWire)
Strong title, but if you asked Adam Pisoni, Yammer CTO and Co-founder, that’s exactly what he will tell you. The future is, you guessed it, enterprise social networks and the cloud.
Why a Microsoft Buy of Yammer Would be Good for Social Business (ZDNet)
Rumours are buzzing in Silicon Valley at the moment after an overheard conversation in The Creamery in San Francisco last night. The bistro and coffee shop is just a short walk from Yammer’s office on Townsend Street. Sarah Taylor tweeted that she had overheard a conversation that Microsoft had acquired Yammer. Bloomberg picked up the story, speculating that Microsoft might pay more than $1 billion for the acquisition.
5 Things Microsoft Doesn’t Want You to Know (PCWorld)
1. If You’re Not Moving to the Cloud, You’re Not Getting a First-Class Release Experience. Sure, Microsoft tout its ability to deliver both world-class products designed for on-premises datacenters as well as services that integrate those same products, along with their expertise in running huge, scaled-up datacenters-but the truth is that the company is cloud first now. Large product releases, such as the next version of SharePoint, will be cloud-first and premises-second. Features will be available only on the service version of the software and won’t make it into the first release of the installable product. They may be added later via a service pack or an update rollup-or, then again, they may not.
54 Questions To Ask About Your Next Cloud Project (LifeHacker)
Cloud services make sense for many business IT projects, but shifting to the cloud requires careful planning. This list of questions to consider when moving to the cloud can make that process much easier and more effective. We compiled this list through crowdsourcing. One of the activities during our recent Lifehacker Meetups involved attendees hearing about a Windows Azure project that had been implemented in that city and then listing the questions they would have asked to ensure that project was a success. We’ve gathered together all that reader wisdom into a collection of issues that are worth considering for any cloud project.
Microsoft Is About To Make An Epic, Greedy Mistake With Its Tablets (Business Insider)
Microsoft product managers are almost insanely confident about their Windows RT tablets. And they could stupidly kill a product that people are otherwise pretty excited about. Microsoft is planning on charging device makers the same price for the Windows RT software as they will charge for full-fledged versions of Windows 8, says IDC market research analyst Tom Mainelli, who tracks the mobile components market.
TechEd 2012: Microsoft’s New Flexible and Open Strategy (TechRepublic)
What is a Red Hat Linux booth doing at Microsoft TechEd North America 2012? It is actually one example of Microsoft’s new strategy of being flexible and open. TechEd 2012 will welcome 10,000+ attendees June 11 – 14 as it celebrates 20 years with the current event at the enormous Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. The theme of this year’s conference seems to continue the current industry theme of the cloud.
Around the Blogosphere
SharePoint Security: The Security, Compliance and Risk Case (Shooting from the Hip)
With SharePoint serving as a centralized collaboration platform, it is the unknown security risks that can really hurt the organization. To help frame the SharePoint security picture, consider this scenario. Like many organizations today, a customer service department is hit with budget cuts. To cope with the resource reductions, the department turns to IT to help streamline the document sharing process both internally and with partners and customers. IT suggests and deploys a SharePoint server as a customer service department subsite which the team uses to create partner and customer folders.
What is the Right SharePoint 2010 Governance Model? (Mark Morrell)
As part of your SharePoint 2010 strategy you need to get the governance right for your organisation’s intranet – restricted if you are highly regulated, looser if you are creative and innovative – for publishing and for accessing and using the information. Setting the right level of permissions for people publishing and using SharePoint 2010 is critical to the value it can bring to your organisation.
Auto-Restarting Forefront for SharePoint When it Hangs and Times Out with PowerShell (The SharePoint Swiss Army Knife)
Scenario: Every once in a while I would have the Forefront Antivirus for SharePoint engine on 1 of my 3 WFE’s conk out. When this happens, SharePoint is fully functional via that WFE except for file uploads which would cause users to experience an error message. This error would prevent the users from uploading any files via that WFE.
Sticky Header and Adjusting the SharePoint 2010 Scrollbar (EndUserSharePoint)
I was doing some work for a client recently where they had a requirement for their banner to always be visible even as you scroll. SharePoint already does this depending on the context, for example if you have any ribbon tab selected other than Browse. Below is an example of the type of thing I was looking for.
Reporting Services Upgrade from SSRS 2008 to SSRS 2012 Lessons Learned (SharePoint Joel’s SharePoint Land)
Let me preface this article. Sperry Hope is my SharePoint + BI engineer. He’s awesome. He pulled off some amazing feats in our Reporting Services upgrade this last week. I asked him to summarize his lessons learned. He’s included the blogs he used as resources as well as videos and downloads.
Guest Blog by Dux Raymond Sy – Free Webinar June 21: 5 Risky SharePoint Temptations for Executives (The Bamboo Team Blog)
I’d like to invite you to a FREE webinar, “Executives Beware: 5 Risky SharePoint Temptations for Executives,” on Thursday, June 21, 2012 at 2:00pm ET. Join Julie Auletta, solutions director of Bamboo Solutions, and myself for an in-depth look into the “temptations” or mistakes that executives make when it comes to implementing SharePoint in the enterprise.
SharePoint Job Listings*
FAST SharePoint Search Administrator – Weston, MA
The FAST SharePoint Administrator manages all aspects of Biogen Idec’s FAST for SharePoint environments, including design, architecture, availability, reliability, performance, monitoring and support for FAST for SharePoint 2010 search. The Administrator will be the expert of FAST for SharePoint 2010 within a growing SharePoint and Enterprise Search platform team. The Administrator will fully document the environment and provide training/knowledge transfer to other members of the team. Experience administering SharePoint search and other services within SharePoint 2010 is required.
SharePoint Developer – Colorado Springs, CO.
Perform as a SharePoint designer, developer, and prototyper. Apply experience with SharePoint 2007 or 2010 design and development, software design, and implementation. Work on the knowledge engineering team to design and develop SharePoint solutions for DoD clients. Perform application and solutions development on the N-NC SharePoint 2010 platform for the Theater Network Control Center CONOPS and TTP development project to codify and automate processes developed through analysis of current TNCC workflows and procedures.
Article: Building Azure and SharePoint Applications: An Introduction (MSDN)
Here, we’re going to quickly cover building a simple file uploader that will utilize SharePoint Online (SPO) for storage and an Azure web role for an interface. Cloud considerations: First things first, if you’re running SPO your API shrinks dramatically to code that will run in the sandbox, in a sequential workflow or as part of the Client Object Model- this reduces the risk to the server from faulty/malicious code. If you’re running SharePoint on-premises, you are totally unrestricted with the code you run and as such, your customization can go deeper. With this solution, we’ll only be using the Client Object Model.
- June 14, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- June 14, Online – Critical Path Training No Cost Webinar Series: Developers Approach to Search Applications with Matthew McDermott
- June 19, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- June 19, Online – Managed Metadata Maturity: Case Studies of Enterprise Information Management in SharePoint 2010
- June 20, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- June 20, Online – Selecting and Protecting the Right SharePoint Backup Targets
- June 20, Online – Understanding SharePoint Metadata and it’s Application to the Information Lifecycle
- June 20, Online – SharePoint for PM Webinar
- June 20, Online – Backup is not Backup. Restore is Backup.
- June 21, Online – Executives Beware: 5 Risky SharePoint Temptations for Executives
- June 21, Online – Leveraging SharePoint 2010 for Managing SOPs and Unified Records Management
- June 21, Online – Leveraging SharePoint 2010 for Managing SOPs and Unified Records Management
- June 21, Online – Digital Signatures for SharePoint
- June 25-27, Denver, Colorado – SharePoint Fest
- June 26, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- June 26, Online – Business Critical SharePoint: ECM for the Enterprise
- June 27, Online – SharePoint Portal Solutions – Aligning Business Process, User Needs and Content
- June 28, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- June 30, Dayton, Ohio – SharePoint Saturday
- June 30, Adelaide, Australia - SharePoint Saturday
- June 30, San Diego, California – SharePoint Saturday
- July 7, Toronto, ON – SharePoint Saturday
- July 11, Online – SharePoint as a Platform in a Highly Regulated Environment
- July 28, New York, New York – SharePoint Saturday
- July 28, Louisville, Kentucky – SharePoint Saturday
- September 25-27, Chicago, Illinois – SharePoint Fest
- June 18-21, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Power End User – Mindsharp
- June 18-22, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer – Mindsharp
- June 20, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- June 20-22, Calgary, AB – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint – Earley & Associates
- June 21, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Session 2 – Bamboo Solutions
- June 25-29, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies – Mindsharp
- June 26, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- June 26-27, Arlington, Virginia – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- June 26-29, Arlington, Virginia – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 3, Online – Workflow Conductor Designer Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July 9-13, Online – SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer – Mindsharp
- July 10-13, Nashville, Tennessee – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- July 10-13, Online – SharePoint 2010 Power End User – Mindsharp
- July 13, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Advanced Developer – Mindsharp
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint 2010 Designer – Mindsharp
- July 17-18, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 17-20, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 18, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Session 2 – Bamboo Solutions
- July 19, Online – SharePoint Re-Design And User Adoption Seminar – Mindsharp
- July 23-27, Online – SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies – Mindsharp
- July 24, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- July 24-26, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Power End User – Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Online – SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer – Mindsharp
- August 1-3, Minneapolis, Minnesota – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint- Earley & Associates
- August 7, Online – Workflow Conductor Designer Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 22, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 24, Online – Bamboo Select – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- August 28-30, Toronto, ON – SharePoint Information Architecture – How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint – Earley & Associates
* Please contact Chris Dooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.