Cloud computing could learn a few things from Madonna. – Dooley
Top News Stories
SharePoint Information Architecture: Tools of the Trade (CMSWire)
A fair amount of work goes into the role of a SharePoint Information Architect. And every architect should have his tools, right? What does Microsoft provide out of the box, to design, deploy and manage an information architecture in SharePoint? Let’s have a look.
The Road Ahead is Personal (AIIM)
Recently, a very simple decision saved us a lot of development work, in a way that was good for my project list but bad for my blog. We had just wired up a pretty useful management dashboard, and up until the day we demonstrated it, we were under the impression that the “management” in management dashboard referred to permissions, not function. The page had so many useful parts, that our next step was to make a personalized version of the page so individuals outside of management could get some of the benefit. I was looking forward to that project, because personalization is high on my list of things to learn more about. I also realized that I wouldn’t be doing most of the work, but rather supplying the “vision” and then blogging about it.
7 Things Windows Phone Needs To Fix Before We’ll Ditch Our iPhones (Business Insider)
We love the Windows Phone operating system. In fact, it’s better than iOS in several key ways. We might even be on the cusp of recommending you buy a Windows Phone, if it weren’t for a few major gripes we have with it. To its credit, Microsoft has fixed a bunch of issues lately that we’ve been having (like the ability to sync multiple Google Calendars), but there are still some issues that are dealbreakers.
Microsoft Shift on Industry-Standard Patents Aimed at Google (Bloomberg Businessweek)
Microsoft Corp.’s vow to negotiate with competitors over industry-standard patents, instead of trying to block their products, marks a change from the company’s position less than a year ago. The policy announced yesterday by Microsoft came the same day that Google Inc. made its own promise regarding standard- essential patents to appease regulators scrutinizing its $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc.
Windows 8 for ARM Will Run Office 15, No Word on SharePoint (CMSWire)
Any confusion about what ARM-processor-powered Windows 8 devices could and couldn’t do has been cleared up by Microsoft. This new class of non-Wintel machines will do a limited amount of what your current PC can do, as they are limited to apps from the Windows Store.
Microsoft Ends Preorders for Nokia Lumia 900 (CNET)
Microsoft has shut down the preorder deal for the Windows Phone-based 900, a company spokesman confirmed to CNET today. No specific reason was given as to why the offer was stopped after only one week. But the rep said that its Microsoft Stores do continually update such offers.
Microsoft Ruining Valentine’s Day with Nine Security Bulletins (PCWorld)
Next Tuesday is a big deal. Yes, it is Valentine’s Day, but that’s not what I’m talking about. It is also the second Tuesday in the month of February which makes it Patch Tuesday. Microsoft revealed today that there are nine new security bulletins slated for next Tuesday. Happy Valentine’s Day? Of the nine security bulletins, four are rated as Critical and the remaining five are all Important. Based on the limited information Microsoft shares in the Patch Tuesday preview, the security updates impact Windows, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, the .NET framework, Silverlight, and Microsoft Server software.
Around the Blogosphere
SharePoint 2013 App Marketplace – Functionality (Furuknap’s SharePoint Corner)
You probably know that Microsoft released literally thousands of pages of documentation on SharePoint 15 (or SharePoint 2013, as I believe it will be called). Most comprehensive is the less intelligible open specification documentation, although that’s also where the good bits are. You probably also know that I’m highly focused on learning what’s new on any new SharePoint version and that I write a USP Journal series that details this research and the findings. In the first issue, now freely available to members of the USP Journal mailing list, I wrote about the new App store.
How to: Activate a Feature on Multiple Site Collections Using PowerShell (Dot Net Mafia)
A lot of times we have a need to activate a feature on multiple site collections. This could be a custom feature to do branding or you may simply be activating publishing on multiple site collections. PowerShell makes tasks like these easy. We’ll take what we learned from my original Activating Features with PowerShell post and use some common techniques to iterate through the site collections and activate the desired feature.
Building Windows for the ARM Processor Architecture (Building Windows 8)
One of the notable aspects of Microsoft Windows has been the flexibility the architecture has shown through shifts in technology and expansion of customer usage over time. What started out as an operating system for one person working solo with productivity software is now the foundation of a wide array of hardware and software technologies, a spectrum of connected Windows products, and an incredibly flexible approach to computing. With Windows 8, we have reimagined Windows from the chipset to the experience—and bringing this reimagined Windows to the ARM® processor architecture is a significant part of this innovation. Expanding the view of the PC to cover a much wider range of form factors and designs than some think of today is an important part of these efforts. Windows on ARM enables creativity in PC design that, in combination with newly architected features of the Windows OS, will bring to customers new, no-compromise PCs.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Architect – Chicago, Illinois
MULTIPLE openings for SharePoint Architects to join a rapidly growing team with one of the “Big 4 Consulting Firms”. Currently experiencing tremendous growth, our client needs Senior Resources to work as a member of the architecture shared services organization within global information management. As the SharePoint Architect, you will be focused on defining the Solution Architecture of enterprise-class applications for complex, global projects with a team of enthusiastic, fast-paced and dynamic technology experts.
.NET/SharePoint Developer – Fairfax, Virginia
The .NET/SharePoint Developer will migrate existing applications (primarily build using ASP.net) to the SharePoint platform. In addition, the role will involve the development of new solutions using .NET and/or SharePoint technologies. He or she will have t ability to translate business requirements into solutions. The candidate chosen for this position must be detail-oriented, flexible, and organized. They must also be self-directed and motivated; have an ability to learn and a desire to succeed. The Developer must be able to work independently or as part of a team. An understanding of formal software development methodologies and demonstrated ability to plan and execute work and to deliver projects on time is essential to the success of this role. Good communication skills, both written and oral, are highly desired.
SharePoint 2010 ECM Code Sample: Content Type Based Metadata (MSDN)
Use this SharePoint 2010 code sample to learn how to apply metadata based on a specified content type. Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 includes metadata defaults based on columns, lists, and folders. However, there may be cases where you want to apply metadata based on a specified content type. For example, if you have a view where you want to order and group content types, you would want to apply metadata by content type.
- February 14, Online – KMWorld Roundtable: How to Fall in Love with SharePoint
- February 14, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- February 15, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- February 14, Online – 5 Risky SharePoint Executive Engagement Temptations
- February 15, Online – Tweet Jam 2012: The State of the SharePoint Community
- February 15, Online – Getting the Most Out of SharePoint Search
- February 18, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam – SharePoint Saturday
- February 21, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Administration Webinar
- February 22, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- February 22, Online – Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- February 22, Online – Improve Client Relationships by Making your Extranet Social – PointBridge, AvePoint, NewsGator
- February 22, Online – The iPad Invasion: Leveraging SharePoint for Mobile Enterprise Security
- February 23, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- February 23, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- February 26-29, San Francisco, California – SPTechCon
- February 27-29, Johannesburg, South Africa – Share Conference
- February 28, Online – Nalco’s Journey of Weaving Social into the Fabric of Their Business – NewsGator
- February 29, Online – 5 Risky SharePoint Governance Temptations
- March 6-8, Denver, Colorado – 2012 NewsGator Collective
- March 20-22, San Francisco, California – AIIM
- March 24, New Orleans, Louisiana – SharePoint Saturday
- March 24, Vianen, Holland – SharePoint Saturday
- March 29, Online – 5 Risky SharePoint Temptations for IT Leaders
- April 14, Los Angeles, California – SharePoint Saturday
- April 14, Twin Cities, Minnesota – SharePoint Saturday
- April 16-18, Québec – SharePoint Summit
- April 19-20, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – ShareFest – The SharePoint Conference for Life Sciences
- April 23-25, London, England – International SharePoint Conference
- April 23-26, Atlanta, Georgia – Share Conference
- April 27, Online – 5 Risky SharePoint Training Temptations
- April 28, Boston, Massachusetts – SharePoint Saturday
- April 28, Houston, Texas – SharePoint Saturday
- April 28, Brussel, Belgium, SharePoint Saturday
- April 29 – May 2, Reston, Virginia – SharePointConference.org
- May 12, Baltimore, Maryland – SharePoint Saturday
- May 14-16, Toronto, Ontario – SharePoint Summit
- May 19, Johannesburg, South Africa – SharePoint Saturday
- May 23, Online – 5 Risky SharePoint Human Resource Temptations
- June 21, Online – Executives Beware: 5 Risky SharePoint Temptations for Executives
- February 13-17, Cleveland, Queensland, Australia – Professional SharePoint Server 2010 Administration – Intelligent Decisioning
- February 16, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online – Project Management Central Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online – Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders – Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- February 21, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- February 27-March 2, London, England – Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training – DevelopMentor
- February 28, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- February 28, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- March 6, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers I – Bamboo Solutions
- March 6, Dallas, Texas – InfoPath 2010 and SharePoint 2010 No-Code Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- March 7, Online – Knowledge Base Accelerator Application Administration – Bamboo Solutions
- March 8, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers II – Bamboo Solutions
- March 13, Nashville, Tennessee – Exploring SharePoint 2010 – New Features – SharePoint Solutions
- March 13, Nashville, Tennessee – SharePoint 2010 Upgrade and Planning – SharePoint Solutions
- March 13, Online – Empower Your Organization with SharePoint – Innovative-e
- March 14, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- March 15, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- March 20, Online – Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders – Bamboo Solutions
- March 20, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- March 20, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- March 27, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- March 27, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- April 3, Nashville, Tennessee – InfoPath 2010 and SharePoint 2010 No-Code Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- April 11, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- April 17, Online – Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders – Bamboo Solutions
- April 17, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- April 17, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- April 19, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- April 24, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- April 24, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- April 30-May 4, London, England – Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training – DevelopMentor
- May 17-18, Washington, D.C. – Delivering SharePoint Success Mentoring Workshop – Innovative-e
* Please contact Chris Dooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.