Atlantis erased from Google Maps and I didn’t get a chance to visit. - Dooley
Top News Stories
Wrapping Your Head Around the SharePoint Beast (CMSWire)
Visual Depiction of SharePoint 2010 (White Board Video) (AIIM)
Making sense of SharePoint 2010 by looking at it visually. Part one goes from Site Collections to Content Types, part two will go onward from Content Types. Hope you find this helpful!
4 Ways Microsoft can Make Azure Better for Startups (GeekWire)
This week Microsoft made a big announcement by providing TechStars startups up to $60,000 worth of Windows Azure services for two years. That’s huge. I have never seen Amazon or any other cloud provider, or any other provider of anything, offer this much. It’s an exciting opportunity for those startups, but it also shows that Microsoft has not been getting enough traction with the startup community.
RIP Windows Start Button: 1995-2012 (PCMagazine)
It had to happen sooner or later. News from those who somehow acquired copies of a Windows 8 “Consumer Preview” version (build 8220) that leaked this weekend indicates that Microsoft has finally decided to remove one of the staple elements of the Windows operating system: The start button.
Office 365′s Lync Online to Gain Interop With Consumer IM Networks (PCWorld)
Lync Online, the instant messaging, online meeting and PC-to-PC voice and video communications tool in Office 365, will gain interoperability with non-Microsoft IM networks. Lync Online, currently integrated with Microsoft’s consumer IM service Windows Live, will later on also let its users communicate with people on Yahoo Messenger and other IM networks, David Grider, a Microsoft Lync technology specialist, said at ITExpo in Miami this week.
How Windows Phone 8 ‘Apollo’ Would Stack Up Against iOS 5, Android 4 (Wired)
Microsoft’s Windows Phone OS is often criticised for lagging far behind iOS and Android, the other major operating systems in the mobile space. But on Thursday, a leaked description of Microsoft’s next big mobile OS, Windows Phone 8, came to light, revealing how the operating system will improve. The leak, reported by blog Pocketnow and validated by Windows insider Paul Thurrott, shows that Apollo (the codename for Windows Phone 8 ) will be a major improvement over the current iteration, Windows Phone 7.5, otherwise known as Mango.
Around the Blogosphere
Quick Tip: SharePoint 2010 Migration – Legacy Views and Add Icon (ITPro)
Over the course of several MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010 migrations, I have noticed that sometimes legacy 2007 settings are “stuck,” particularly in sites created from site templates. For example:
SharePoint 2010 Development – A Beginners Guide Part Two (SharePoint 365)
In the last post I told you about everything you would need to get started or more to the point everything you would need to follow this series at least. In this post we will go through some quick steps to create a simple web part with limited explanation of what we are doing, this is not to fool you it is simply to get you started and show you how quick it is to create a Web Part. I promise we will go into more detail in the future but for now, let’s get it on.
Search: Are You Willing to Manage it as an Application? (Eli Robillard’s World of Blog.)
The question was asked, “how hard is it to configure FAST and what does that effort give you?” The none-too-helpful answer is that with every search product you get what you give. FAST happens to have more substance so logically there will be more to configure than some alternatives, and you can get more out of it in the long run and continuously grow its ROI as you learn its ropes.
Just One Week Remains to Save $300 on Your SPTechCon Registration (The Bamboo Team Blog)
Heads up: Next Friday, February 10, is the cutoff to save $300 on the cost of your registration for SPTechCon 2012 in San Francisco. This year’s conference is taking place right in the heart of downtown San Francisco, and will feature the same level of world-class SharePoint speakers that you’ve come to expect from SPTechCon on both coasts. Jared Spataro will deliver the Microsoft keynote, and Todd Klindt and Shane Young will deliver their own provocatively titled keynote: “Making Nerds Better People.” Over 90 sessions will be presented throughout the four-day conference, including such SharePoint notables as (to name just a few of those whose sessions I’ve covered in the past): Owen Allen, Christian Buckley, Andrew Connell, Bill English, Richard Harbridge, Brett Lonsdale, Mark Rackley, Laura Rogers, and Heather Solomon.
SharePoint Job Listings*
Senior Business Systems Analyst SharePoint – Topeka, Kansas
The Senior Business Systems Analyst & Software Engineer reports to the Corporate Solutions team manager and delivers technology solutions to support the SharePoint systems. This role has both BSA and Software Engineering responsibilities. The successful candidate is responsible for the analysis, design and configuration of applications running on the Microsoft SharePoint platform. Provides support for the CBI Associate Portal, including custom configuration, web parts, .NET code, custom lists and workflows. Completes analysis requested for SharePoint team sites and documents functional scope for custom work. Prioritizes and executes service requests for new Associate Portal page areas (including department sites and custom team sites). Leverages specialized skill sets from SharePoint software engineers to deliver against agreed upon scope and design. Works closely with the SharePoint governance board to ensure the overall integrity of the SharePoint platform.
Sr. Consultant MIS- L B (Lead Application Developer – SharePoint Developer/Architect) – New York, New York
The SharePoint Developer/Architect will provide analysis, design, hands-on development and delivery of web-based applications. Additionally, the selected candidate will work with SharePoint technologies such as WSS 3.0, SPS 2003, MOSS 2007/2010, InfoPath, Forms Services, Excel Services, Search, Business Data Catalog and Web Services) in a variety of business environments.
SharePoint 2010 ECM Code Sample: Content Type Based Metadata (MSDN)
Use this SharePoint 2010 code sample to learn how to apply metadata based on a specified content type. Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 includes metadata defaults based on columns, lists, and folders. However, there may be cases where you want to apply metadata based on a specified content type. For example, if you have a view where you want to order and group content types, you would want to apply metadata by content type.
- February 7, Silicon Valley, California – Get Social. Bicoastal.
- February 7, New York, New York – Get Social. Bicoastal.
- February 8, Online – Rapid Deployment for Army SharePoint Solutions
- February 8, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- February 8, Online – How to Avoid Hybrid SharePoint Migration Headaches
- February 9, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- February 14, Online – KMWorld Roundtable: How to Fall in Love with SharePoint
- February 14, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- February 15, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- February 21, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Administration Webinar
- February 22, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- February 22, Online – Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- February 22, Online – Improve Client Relationships by Making your Extranet Social – PointBridge, AvePoint, NewsGator
- February 23, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- February 23, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- February 26-29, San Francisco, California – SPTechCon
- February 27-29, Johannesburg, South Africa – Share Conference
- February 28, Online – Nalco’s Journey of Weaving Social into the Fabric of Their Business – NewsGator
- March 6-8, Denver, Colorado – 2012 NewsGator Collective
- March 20-22, San Francisco, California - AIIM
- March 24, New Orleans, Louisiana – SharePoint Saturday
- April 14, Twin Cities, Minnesota – SharePoint Saturday
- April 16-18, Québec – SharePoint Summit
- April 23-26, Atlanta, Georgia – Share Conference
- April 28, Boston, Massachusetts – SharePoint Saturday
- April 28, Houston, Texas – SharePoint Saturday
- April 30 – May 1, Reston, Virginia – SharePointConference.org
- February 7, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers I – Bamboo Solutions
- February 8, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- February 9, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers II – Bamboo Solutions
- February 13-17, Cleveland, Queensland, Australia – Professional SharePoint Server 2010 Administration – Intelligent Decisioning
- February 16, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online – Project Management Central Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online – Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders – Bamboo Solutions
- February 27-March 2, London, England – Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training – DevelopMentor
- February 28, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- March 6, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers I – Bamboo Solutions
- March 7, Online – Knowledge Base Accelerator Application Administration – Bamboo Solutions
- March 8, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers II – Bamboo Solutions
- March 14, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- March 15, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- March 20, Online – Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders – Bamboo Solutions
- March 27, Online - Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- April 11, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- April 17, Online – Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders – Bamboo Solutions
- April 19, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- April 24, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- April 30-May 4, London, England – Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training – DevelopMentor
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.