Is Visual Studio 2010 secretly a text-based adventure game? - Dooley
Top News Stories
Microsoft SharePoint Users Ignore Security Measures, Says Survey (TechWorld)
Copying documents out of Microsoft SharePoint to less secure media such as email and thumb drives is common among users of the collaboration platform, at least in the UK. According to a survey of 100 users who attended a SharePoint conference in November, 45% have made such copies, with 18% saying they do it regularly, indicating a need for data-loss prevention.
Inventing the Collaborative Workspace (Harvard Business Review)
Most corporate buildings don’t do a good job of supporting collaboration, brainstorming, and innovative work methods. They tend to be dominated by cubicles or offices which are suited for individual work, or by hard-to-book conference rooms that teams can use but only for short periods of time. What’s needed is a more flexible space that better supports teams and inspires more open thinking. These are common at design firms such as frog where I work, but rare in corporate settings.
SharePoint Upgrade Supports iPad Mobile Business Intelligence …Sort of (CMSWire)
The latest SharePoint 2010 Cumulative Update from Microsoft came with a surprise for iPad users: Select mobile business Intelligence reports and scorecards can now be viewed via the Safari Browser running Apple iOS 5.
Microsoft Office 365′s New Enterprise Fans (InformationWeek)
Microsoft has revealed a number of high-profile customer wins for its fledgling Office 365 online productivity suite. Moving to Office 365 are airline JetBlue, outdoor clothing designer Patagonia, and the American Heart Association. “Each customer is unique, different in size, mission, and industry, yet all have a common technology mission–to foster greater collaboration and communication, enhance productivity, and realize the efficiencies associated with the cloud,” said Microsoft, in a statement.
Microsoft Girds Itself for Windows 8 Battle and Beyond (Seeking Alpha)
Microsoft’s quarterly earnings statement didn’t have any big surprises. It was generally good news: record total revenue, growth in many key sectors, big sales in Xbox, 525 million total Windows 7 licenses sold, and they even seem to be losing a little less money in the Online Services area. But all that is a side show. 2011 was a big one for Microsoft in mobile (at least, big in that they took major actions), but for their core businesses it has been a hold-steady year. 2012 will be an adventure.
Windows Phone Jumping to No. 2 in Smartphone Market by 2015? (ZDNet)
Microsoft’s partnership with Nokia has the potential to push the Windows Phone ecosystem into the number 2 spot in the smartphone operating system market share by 2015. At least according to Wayne Lam, a senior analyst for wireless communications at IHS iSuppli, who asserted as much in the market intelligence firm’s latest report about the positive response for the Nokia Lumia 900 after it was unveiled last week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
World IPv6 Launch: This Time it’s for Real (Ars Technica)
As happened during last year’s World IPv6 Day, the Internet Society is taking the lead in organizing World IPv6 Launch on June 6, 2012. (Yes, right on the heels of the Venus transit across the disk of the sun.) But unlike last year, after turning on the new version of the Internet Protocol on some of the largest Web properties—and many smaller ones—this year, IPv6 will not be turned off again 24 hours later. So “this time it’s for real,” and the new protocol will be here to stay at Google, Yahoo, Bing, Facebook, and Cisco, as well as many Akamai and Limelight customers.
Around the Blogosphere
If You Still Don’t ‘Get’ What Governance is (Joe unfiltered)
True story: About one year ago I went to Microsoft TechEd in Berlin and attended all types of sessions. I was there to learn about technology, and I somewhat accidentally attended a session on SharePoint governance. I didn’t really know what that was, and frankly I couldn’t have cared less. I am a techie, and this was some sort of new fad that the global companies were all raving about. Some sort of corporate mumbo jumbo that was useless when it came down to doing some real work. Not a single line of code in the entire talk, just a bunch of Visio.
Be Careful When Using the “Sign in as Different User” Feature in SharePoint (Stefan Goßner)
We sometimes see customers running into problems when using the “Sign in as Different User” feature in SharePoint. Common problems are:
Video: 2012 MSProject Community Webcast w/ Arpan Shah (MeetDux)
Had a great time talking to Microsoft Project Director Arpan Shah yesterday. We talked about: MS Project 2010 momentum; Client success stories; The business value of project management; Project Conference 2012; MS Project partner ecosystem; MPUG; Community engagement.
SharePoint Job Listings*
Sr. SharePoint Developer – Exton, PA
We are currently looking for a SharePoint Developer with 1-2 years of working experience implementing SharePoint 2010 solutions including custom application development experience in C#. The ideal candidate should have good interpersonal and communications skills with solid analysis and troubleshooting abilities.
SharePoint Analyst – Fort Bragg , NC
As a SharePoint Analyst your primary responsibility is to facilitate effective corporate information management practices through the proper use of content management systems. Highlights and Responsibilities: Typical duties include gathering and documenting client requirements for managing content, designing and implementing solutions using standard features of the appropriate content management system, and advising clients on their role in effectively managing their content. Duties may grow to include documenting client business processes and supporting them with automated workflows. Also provides content management consultation to existing clients. *Awareness of web application development languages, tools and techniques.
Managing Enterprise Metadata in SharePoint Server 2010 (ECM) (MSDN)
Learn the core concepts of SharePoint Server 2010 managed metadata and how to use it. Managed metadata is a hierarchical collection of centrally managed terms that you can define, and then use as attributes for items in Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010. This topic introduces the core concepts about managed metadata, and then describes ways to use managed metadata. The final section presents several benefits of incorporating managed metadata into your SharePoint Server 2010 solution. This topic includes:
- January 20, Tampa, Florida – Understanding the Business Benefits of Enterprise Social Computing
- January 21, Austin, Texas – SharePoint Saturday
- January 21, Buenos Aires, Argentina – Sharing the Point South America
- January 23, Montevideo, Uruguay – Sharing the Point South America
- January 24, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Administration Webinar
- January 24, Santiago, Chile – Sharing the Point South America
- January 25, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- January 25, Online – Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- January 25, Online – How to Build a Project Management Information System (PMIS)
- January 25, Online – Weston Solutions’ Eight Steps for Achieving World-Class Collaboration
- January 26, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- January 26, Villa las Estrellas, Antarctica – Sharing the Point South America
- January 31, Online – Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- February 2, Washington, DC – So the Active Directory Team Won’t Let UPS Update User Information
- February 4, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – SharePoint Saturday
- February 7, Silicon Valley, California – Get Social. Bicoastal.
- February 7, New York, New York – Get Social. Bicoastal.
- February 26-29, San Francisco, California – SPTechCon
- February 27-29, Johannesburg, South Africa – Share Conference
- March 6-8, Denver, Colorado – 2012 NewsGator Collective
- March 20-22, San Francisco, California - AIIM
- March 24, New Orleans, Louisiana – SharePoint Saturday
- April 14, Twin Cities, Minnesota – SharePoint Saturday
- April 16-18, Québec – SharePoint Summit
- April 23-26, Atlanta, Georgia – Share Conference
- April 28, Boston, Massachusetts – SharePoint Saturday
- April 28, Houston, Texas – SharePoint Saturday
- April 30 – May 1, Reston, Virginia – SharePointConference.org
- January 24, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- January 24-25, Nashville, Tennessee – Exploring SharePoint 2010 – New Features – SharePoint Solutions
- January 24-27, Nashville, Tennessee – Applying MOSS Core Features – SharePoint Solutions
- January 24-27, Nashville, Tennessee – SharePoint 2010 Upgrade and Planning – SharePoint Solutions
- January 30-February 3, Boston, Massachusetts – Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training – DevelopMentor
- February 1, Online – Knowledge Base Accelerator Application Administration – Bamboo Solutions
- February 7, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers I – Bamboo Solutions
- February 8, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- February 9, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers II – Bamboo Solutions
- February 13-17, Cleveland, Queensland, Australia – Professional SharePoint Server 2010 Administration – Intelligent Decisioning
- February 16, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online – Project Management Central Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online – Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders – Bamboo Solutions
- February 27-March 2, London, England – Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training – DevelopMentor
- February 28, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- March 6, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers I – Bamboo Solutions
- March 7, Online – Knowledge Base Accelerator Application Administration – Bamboo Solutions
- March 8, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Collaboration Enablers II – Bamboo Solutions
- March 14, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- March 15, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- March 20, Online – Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders – Bamboo Solutions
- March 27, Online - Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- April 11, Online – Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training – Bamboo Solutions
- April 17, Online – Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders – Bamboo Solutions
- April 19, Online – Project Management Central End User Training – Bamboo Solutions
- April 24, Online – Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers – Bamboo Solutions
- April 30-May 4, London, England – Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training – DevelopMentor
* Please contact Chris Dooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.